Monday, December 1, 2014

Pre-TTC: Postpartum PCOS

Doctor after doctor, woman after woman have told me that with PCOS or an unexplained infertility, that sometimes the body "learns" what it should do after it has already been pregnant and had a baby. I was skeptical of this, and I still am.

But, it seems that I have ovulated on cd 15, without medication...which...is a first. My chart suggests that I did, but I didn't use any OPKs or anything to back it up. We aren't planning to TTC again for a little while, to put some space between Kaiden and the next baby, so I don't have a need for OPKs, which hardly work for me anyway.

I am impressed, though, if I did manage to ovulate on my own! We will see if it is a fluke or not next cycle.

I am also asking my GP if I can go on metformin to see if it does anything. I am not insulin resistent or diabetic, but it can help women with PCOS and non-IR to regulate. I will keep everyone updated!

2 comments:

  1. If you dont plan to ttc for a while, I'd take my take my mind out of it for now if I were you.. it's very easy to go back into ttc paranoia, temping, "oops" pregnancies (they rarely happen and more even so for those who want them) and so on.. Remember you've got two live embryos, just frozen, but still alive, waiting for you. Also, you're a mother now, so infertility shouldnt pain you the way it did before. just my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anon! I am temping because for people with infertility issues, this information is very important before they go back into treatments. When I first started treatment with just clomid cycles, my OB was very appreciative that I had at least four charts that he could study first. When I switched to a RE, I had even more charts, and they were able to come up with a good plan for me because of them.

      Since pregnancy can "reset" a woman's infertility issues, I want to be armed with information if I have to go back to my RE again. This shouldn't be a stressful thing, since I'm not using my charts to time or predict or what have you -- just to record.

      As for your last statement, I have to say that a statement like that to any infertile woman, be they a mother already or not, is very painful. Secondary infertility "hurts" all the same as primary infertility. Infertility is infertility. The frustration, the struggle, the torture of treatments, the needles, the retrievals, the transfers, the failure -- it doesn't change just because you are already a mother. Sure, maybe some of the desperation is gone, but you become desperate in other ways. Instead of saying, "Why can't I just be a mother already?" you might say, "Why can't I give my son a sibling?" Instead of, "I'll never have a baby" it might be, "I'll never complete my family."

      I hope that makes sense! :)

      Delete