Tuesday, April 9, 2013

14 Week Appointment: Not Impressed

Had my second prenatal appointment today. I had to have blood redrawn because apparently they put my results in another person's e-file, and the lab refuses to switch it over. They are lucky I don't care about needles or blood draws anymore.

The nurse took me into the exam room and said she was going to try to find the fetal heart rate on the doppler, but not to freak out if she couldn't. I told her that I've been listening to the heart rate at home and could tell her where the baby was, but it moves around a lot. She was really happy that I could do it on my own, and it was funny because as soon as she found the baby, it swam away. She laughed and went off searching again for little Baby R. Heart rate was between 150-160, which is perfect. :)

When the midwife finally arrived, she asked me if I had any complaints. And this is where I became much less impressed with her. I told her about the back pain that I've been having, and she completely waved it off and said that it "can't be pregnancy related" because I'm too early. Okay. Except that pregnancy hormones release a chemical that loosens your ligament muscles, which sometimes results in inflammation and the like. There's no set time that this happens. It just does. So, she told me to see a chiropractor. Thanks.

Next, I brought up the migraines and asked her if there was anything I could take or do for them. She told me I could take Imitrex, and I informed her that it makes me sicker than when I have the migraine. So, she shrugged and told me to ask my neurologist, and it's something I'll probably have to deal with. Thanks again.

Finally, I brought up my blood pressure and told her that I am worrying about it being so borderline high on a daily basis. She told me that my blood pressure was fine and to stop worrying.

She measured my uterus, and it's measuring just fine. She told me that I lost five pounds since my last appointment and asked if I've been eating okay. I told her that I eat less because I'm really picky about what I want to eat, and most of the time I am thirsty. So, when I do eat, I want to eat things that are juicy, like fruit, and fruit burns through your system quickly. I will have to work on eating fuller meals.

 At the end of the appointment, I pretty much felt that it was useless. I go back in four weeks. I asked to be scheduled with the OB this time. Maybe she'll be more responsive to my concerned.

But, Baby R is doing well, and that is what matters. I will have a new belly picture at the end of the week. :)

4 comments:

  1. Sorry the appt didn't go well :( I don't think there is any "perfect" practitioner, but it's important to feel like you're getting decent care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is important to feel like the person you are seeing is taking you seriously and not just treating you like a "first time mom". I'm sorry your appointment didn't go well! :( I'm glad the baby is doing well though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why ask if you have any complaints when she is going to disregard them all? Hope you can find someone that makes you feel comfortable and like you may know a thing or two about your own body!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I have just finished reading your entire blog and I am so so so happy that everything is finally going well for you!

    I have cried, laughed, worried and felt all of the emotions you have spoken about, I too am going through IVF/ICSI in England and have also blogged about it. Luckily it seems to have worked and at the moment I am about 5 weeks and waiting for my first scan.

    Thank you so much for writing your blog and I will continue to follow it throughout your pregnancy, good luck my love! xxx

    ReplyDelete