Wednesday, September 18, 2013

37 Week Appointment

Had my appointment this morning. I was having trouble breathing since I woke up, and it didn't get any better during the hour that I spent in the office waiting to be seen. By the time the nurse called me back, she took one look at me and said I looked "pink and pale" and was concerned. I told her I was having trouble breathing and didn't feel well.

The doppler showed that baby was doing well, or at least his heart rate was on target. When the midwife came in, she asked me what was wrong, and I told her about the breathing, and how the baby hasn't been active lately. She measured my tummy, which was still on track, then checked the sonogram report for the baby from last Friday. He is measuring 6 lbs 5 oz (-/+ a pound) and everything looks good according to the report. She also did a cervical check. From the 0 cm I was at the last time I was checked (two weeks ago), I am now at 1.5 cm. Midwife was happy with this. She wasn't happy with my sugar levels, which were high again. She blamed the Coco Puffs and told me not to eat cereal before my next appointment. :P

She was also not happy with my breathing concerns and that the baby has been quieter. She told me that it is nervous for his activity to be lower now, but she thinks that my worrying about it is causing anxiety that may be causing the breathing issues. So, she sent me to the hospital to have a NST done and have my oxygenation checked.

The hospital visit wasn't so bad. Baby and I were hooked up to the monitors to watch his heart rate and if I was having any contractions. I told the nurse I haven't felt any in a few days. She told me that they'd watch the monitor for a little bit and then the doctor would come in to talk to me. About fifteen minutes later, she came back and told me that they are going to give me some juice to wake the baby up, then looked at my read-out and asked if I was feeling the contractions I was getting. I had no idea I was getting them, but lo-and-behold, they were showing up on the monitor every five minutes or so. Here's a picture of the monitor:


The top line is the baby's heartbeat. The bottom one is the contraction monitor. As you can see, I had a couple within about five minutes. That continued the whole time I was there, but I didn't feel any of it.

The OB resident came in with the ultrasound machine and said she'd do the ultrasound next, just to double check his fluid levels and activity. I was excited about this, since my sonogram on Friday was crap. Baby was more awake now that I drank down some apple juice, but he still wasn't moving as much as he usually does. At least, I didn't think he was. But, when she started the ultrasound, he was wiggling all over the place. I got to see his little hands opening and closing, and his butt wiggling around. He's very squished up in there, but he's still active. The fluid levels looked good too, so they decided to send me home. I went home, ate lunch, and took a nap.

Another eventful appointment. Hopefully, next week, it's not as eventful. I feel bad when I have to call out of work, even if I know they understand. Truth is, it is getting harder as the days go on, since I feel so uncomfortable most of the time. I've been trying to take more walks before or after work to help ease the discomfort, but some days I wake up and know it's not going to be a good day.

Tomorrow is the Harvest Moon. Maybe my son will decide to be a full moon baby. :) One can only hope!

Me with a pulse-ox on my toe



No comments:

Post a Comment