Tuesday, September 24, 2013

38 Weeks: Hello in There?

Still no baby! He's a stubborn boy, this one.

I've been finding out how annoying people can be in these last weeks. I know that most of them mean the best, but you'd be surprised.

Every day I go into work, I am asked about a dozen times, "You're still here?" Yes.  Yes, I am still here. I'm right in front of you, actually! And I am as tired and uncomfortable as I look to you as well. But, I like going to work, because it gives me something else to concentrate on, and also, they've been very accommodating toward me, and the most of my worries on any given day is getting hall duty done. So, while I could go out early, I have no reason to right now, unless my midwife encourages it.

There is also the group of people who insist and sincerely hope I go later than sooner. It's like they really, really want me to be overdue just to prove a point. This is also annoying. I've had a great pregnancy. It's been easy. But, as anyone who has been through the final month of pregnancy, you realize just how cumbersome it is. It gets old not being able to get around comfortably, or to do every day things without running out of breath and feeling like you are going to collapse and die. So, I find it to be really rude when people point out, "You know, you might not go until 42 weeks." Yes, I do know this. I'm not stupid. I know quite a lot about pregnancy.

Aside from these small annoyances, all is well. I thought, on Saturday night, I was really in labor. I woke up at 12:30 with contractions that were strong enough to get me up out of bed. I wanted to walk around, because BH tend to go away when you switch positions, so it was a good sign when I got up and walked to the bathroom and back that the contractions were still there. They came every 5-10 minutes, mostly sticking closer to every five minutes. This went on until around 2:30 in the morning. I remembered my doula telling me that even if I get contractions at night to try and sleep or rest through them, because I'm going to need my energy for later.

With that on my mind, I curled up in bed, did some tossing and turning, and eventually fell asleep. When I woke up in the morning, the contractions were gone, and I was sort of bummed. Hopefully, those contractions combined with the ones I had all of Friday have been enough to progress my cervix some, even if I know that doesn't mean jack shit at the end of the day.

I also wanted to share a funny story from last night. The baby has been rather quiet lately, since he's preparing to exit the building. His hiccups have come back full force, though. I was sitting on the couch yesterday and told my husband that I was afraid he is going to turn breech the last moment, and that maybe he already did. I was poking at lumps in my tummy, trying to figure out if a lump was his back or butt or head. An hour later, the baby got the hiccups, and I laughed and turned to B and said, "He's definitely still head down." He asked how I knew, and I kept laughing and replied, "Because, I can feel his hiccups in my butt. My BUTT is hiccuping right now."

Butt hiccups.

Something new every day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment