Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The WTF Appointment

I met with Dr. P. to discuss what we can do to prepare for the next IVF. This is pretty much how it was broken down...

1) My Eggs Suck: He didn't say this so bluntly, but it's pretty much what he was trying to say. In fact, they are starting to believe that I might not have even ovulated early the first IVF round. He instead thinks, in retrospect, that the eggs are dying before they can get to them, and the follicles are collapsing, as they would after ovulation. The eggs that they are getting aren't of the best quality, either. All together, they got six eggs from both cycles. Out of the six eggs, three of them ended up polyspermy, an indicator of poor egg quality since the eggs aren't acting the way they are supposed to after being fertilized with one sperm. They are letting other sperm in after that.

The solution?

2) Lose Weight: This is priority. He wants me to take these months off to focus on losing weight, which I'm fine with. I've already come down to this realization. He explained it to me like this: When I am taking my injections, the medicine has to travel through fatty tissue before it gets into my system and to my ovaries. The more fatty tissue there is, the longer it takes for the medicine to get to my ovaries. It's not being as effective as it can be because it has to go all that extra way to get there. This goes for both the injections and for my normal hormones. If I can cut down this fat, then I am creating less of an obstacle for the hormones to travel, and my body should respond the way it should to the injections and to my natural hormones. It will also improve my egg quality at the end of everything.

3) Take a Supplement Called Pregnitude: Pregnitude is a new supplement that is still being studied. In it's one official study, though, it has improved ovulatory function, menstrual cyclicity, and quality of eggs. Basically, it's a crap ton of folic acid and Myo-Inositol, which supposedly acts like Metformin. Dr. P. wants me to take this for at least two months before we move head. So, at the least, I am waiting two months for my next IVF cycle, if not more. He really believes in this stuff, so I am hoping it works.

On the flip side, he said that I am stopping the dexmethasone, and I won't be taking Metformin like the nurse said I would be. He said I'm not insulin resistant, so there's no reason for me to take it now, but he will have me take it during my IVF cycle. The dexmethasone wasn't doing anything, and he doesn't want me to be on it much longer because it thins the bones and because of complications like Cushing's Syndrome. He also said it won't help me lose weight.

As for the immunology testing, he said that his clinic doesn't test for it anymore, and he doesn't think it's a factor for my situation. The treatment for such things include dexmethasone, and since that hasn't done anything for me anyway, he really doesn't think it's the issue at hand. So, I won't press that any further, as I don't see a reason to.

So, that's pretty much it. I went to the gym on the way home today to renew my membership, only to find it has never been cancelled. Which is strange...because I can't find it being charged to any of my cards...soooooo....whatever! I'll start a new gym routine to go along with my diet and hope for the best. :)


5 comments:

  1. I've heard of that stuff too, that supposedly is like metformin. Forgot all about it until you mentioned it. I step on the scale every day, some days it's the same and some days it goes down, and some it goes up. As long as down is the majority, you're doing it right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about ivm getting the eggs and They mature in a lab? Idk the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm rooting for you, Steph. I love your positive attitude and your plan to move forward. You inspire me. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for the outcome of your 2 IVFs. I found your blog while searching for cramps on 8dp2dt. My eggs are also not helping the process out... it is so frustrating...

    I will look for more info on Pregnitude.. never heard about it... my Dr. suggest I take primrose oil that also is suppose to improve ovarian performance...

    I will be stalking your blog from now on :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph, I am rooting for you! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete