Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Baseline Ultrasound

I forgot to post about the baseline that I had to get on Sunday! It was my first ultrasound that I've ever had done; it's just a shame that it wasn't being done for what it usually is. I was sort of wishing they'd just be like, "Well, Stephanie, there's no need to do any of this because you are already pregnant!" But...no luck.

Baselines are strange. Especially when you go in there and realize that they aren't using the outer Doppler for the ultrasound, but they are using the gigantic, seven inch probe sheathed with a condom instead. Great. Thankfully, the nurse informed me that "only an inch goes in." ...okay.

In either case, it wasn't very uncomfortable. A baseline is just to check and make sure that your ovaries don't have any significant cysts on them before you start your clomid treatment. Clomid has a tenancy to make cysts worst/bigger, so people with PCOS generally have to be monitored while on the medicine. Granted, I took clomid for four months without being monitored...but I also developed cysts from that, so, maybe doing it this way will be better.

My ultrasound came out clear. The nurse said I will start the clomid tomorrow (Cycle day/CD 5). I'll take it until CD 9, and then on the 18th, I'll go back in for another ultrasound to see if I have any mature follicles. If so, then we can move on to the next steps...the hcg shot and the insemination. Woot!

I'm feeling very optimistic. Stay optimistic with me, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment