Wednesday, February 13, 2013

6w3d: Ready For Your Closeup?

Yesterday was our first OB ultrasound appointment. I took the whole day off, since I didn't know how things were going to go, and I was also way too anxious to get anything productive done in school. That, and the appointment was at 1:45, and my students don't get in until noon. By the time I got back to school, it'd practically be over.

Anyway! We arrived at the office sort of late, since my husband doesn't know how to leave the house on time. We were the only patients in the clinic, which is how I think they plan, so that the pregnant women aren't sitting along with the women still trying to get pregnant.

The nurse called us right back into the exam room, where I sat, half naked, for a good fifteen minutes, panicking inside. Before I left the house, I had a mini-breakdown in the bathroom from sheer nerves, and here I was, letting it get to me again. Finally, Dr. Y. arrived, and we got down to it.

I was in crappy exam room one, where I cannot see anything on the sonogram monitor without contorting my body so I can see it. But, I could immediately make out the gestational sac when it came up. I breathed a sigh of relief. Dr. Y. measured it and said I was measuring at 5w6d, which is two days behind, but that's normal. He continued to look around, probably checking for a second sac, but didn't find one. He also couldn't find my right ovary (again), but that's not really important.

There wasn't a heartbeat yet, but that's also okay, since the heart usually doesn't start beating until six weeks, and even then, sometimes you can't see it until seven weeks. I have to go back in ten days for another scan to check for a heartbeat, but I have faith that it'll be okay. Actually, I'm kind of wondering if the doctor wasn't rushing me through the scan, if he would have seen the heartbeat, since I think I can see it on the photo.

Here's the photo:


The big, black circle is the gestational sac, which is measuring at 5w6d. The smaller circle inside of the sac is the yolk sac, and the little shrimp outlined in red is called the "fetal pole" or, in other words, the baby. Isn't she cute? Just a little squiggly. <3 I think that the bright white blip in the middle of the fetal pole is a heartbeat, but who knows?

Now, it's back to more waiting and more shots in the my poor, bruised bottom.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you that cried reading the posts you just added. It brought back so many memories I have of struggling with infertillity and getting my first bfp. I'm just so glad it has finally happened for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so happy for you! I can't wait to follow you on this journey! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard that if the fetal pole is on the right it is a boy and left is girl. =) who knows

    ReplyDelete