Sunday, February 10, 2013

9dp5dt or 4wks3days: Hanging in there.

It has been six days since I found out I am pregnant. It's been an interesting six days at that. I'll break them down for you!


Saturday

Saturday is when I got my first non-squinter FRER test. I went out and I bought a box of digitals with the intention of using them for both proving to my husband that there was, in fact, a line the previous day, and a darker line this morning.

While I was at Target, I went back to the baby section that I wrote about a few entries before. It was kind of scary, to the point where my tummy started to get upset from the anxiousness. I kept telling myself, though, that "I belong here now," and it was okay to look. I decided to pick up a bib that said "Grandma loves all the kisses" and a bib that said "I love dinner dates with Auntie" and since they had nothing for uncles at Target, I picked up a boy-themed set of baby mittens for my brother.

I went home and immediately went upstairs to take the digital test. There was a certain sense of dread, suddenly, about how I would feel if it came up "not pregnant" instead of "pregnant." That fear was pretty much gone in three minutes when it finally displayed "pregnant." My heart swelled with joy, and I ran the test down to my husband and waved it at him, saying, "You can't argue with the word 'pregnant!'" He smiled and said he's still reserving his judgment until beta day. Fine. Punk.

Armed with my positive digital test, I went back upstairs and arranged the gifts I bought into three bags. In my mom's bag, I put the digital test on top of the bib for grandma. Then, I put the other bib and mittens in separate bags.






Now, my family lives in Philadelphia, and I was driving up to Philly that day to drop off my dog and then drive to my friend C's house to help her out with her diaper shower and putting her nursery together. I decided to tell my mom, sister and brother because I don't know when I'll see them face-to-face again since our schedules don't always match up.

Fast forward to when I got there, I lied to them and told them that B and I forgot to give them some gifts from our cruise, and that they had to sit together and open it because I wanted to get their reactions on camera. On the count of three, they opened their packages. My brother didn't quite get it at first...my sister stared at the bib for a little bit, and my mom took out the test, looked at it, put it aside, took out the bib, looked at that, put it aside, and it wasn't until my sister said, "Wait? You're pregnant?" that my mom caught on. My sister and brother were pretty excited, but my mom was maybe in a little bit of shock. It was a little anti-climatic and not quite the reaction I thought they'd have, but meh. It was a great moment, none-the-less.

We tried to Skype my other sister, who lives overseas, but she wasn't picking up, so we didn't get a hold of her.

I also told my friend C, who was much more excited! Her little sister decided to tell everyone at the diaper party, which wasn't too bad, since I didn't really know those people, and it doesn't matter much if they want to talk about it. I went to bed early this night because I was really exhausted, which is about the only symptom I've been experiencing.

Sunday

Sunday was dedicated to helping C put together her nursery. I wrote about that in a previous post, but I will say, it was so much less stressful than I originally thought it would be (before I got pregnant) because I knew that I'd be doing this soon too.

It was fun, though, to park in this spot...not because my friend is nine months pregnant (well, yes, because of that), but also because I am now an expectant mom. And I totally plan on always parking in these spots from  now until eight months from now. Hahaha.


We were shopping for about three hours before my husband started to text me and ask where they hell we were. We spent another three hours getting the nursery in order after that, and I think we did a good job.

On our way back to Maryland, I developed a pretty nasty migraine. I ended up going to bed early again, but this time with my headache ice pack strapped to my forehead in hopes of some relief.

Oh! I also texted my dad and told him I got him an early birthday present (his birthday is on the 3rd) and sent him a picture of my "pregnant" digi. He immediately called me and was yelling, "I'm gonna be a granddad?! Am I really gonna be a granddad?" It was a great reaction. :) I was so happy to tell him that he'll finally get to be a granddad.

Monday

My first day in school after finding out. I woke up with the same migraine. I was feeling pretty miserable. Thankfully, Monday was an in-service day, so I didn't have to put up with any students. I did have to put up with a meeting, though, in which I had to sit in front of a too-bright computer screen. I kept my water bottle on my head and took two extra strength Tylenol. One of the teachers in my team, who was sitting next to me, asked if I've tried other migraine medicines. I replied to her that I couldn't take them now. My intention was not to let people know about this until after my beta test...but I don't do very well lying to people's faces. She knew what I've been going through, so she was really happy to hear it, but I asked her to keep it quiet for now, since I wasn't ready for everyone to know yet.

After the meeting, I went back to work in my classroom. An hour or so went by before my roommate asked me if I was okay because I "seemed sad." Granted, I was dragging around both because I was exhausted, and because of the migraine, which had just recently faded away. My roommate has known what I've been going through as well, and she had also gone through infertility treatment in the past, so she's been very supportive of me. So, I let her know too, and she squealed and hugged me and told me that she'd been praying for me and is so happy to hear this. She's much older than I am, so she immediately went into mothering mode to make sure I was okay. I followed her suggestion and went home to eat lunch and then take a long, long nap since I was feeling so totally exhausted.

Aside from the exhaustion, there's been a little bit of cramping, but that's it.

Tuesday

Tuesday was the first day the students have been back. It doesn't help that I woke up sort of nauseous this day, but thankfully, it went away by noon, and it wasn't too bad at all. At the end of the day, I was totally pooped, and though I told myself earlier I'd come right home and take a nap, I didn't do that at all.

I also told myself that I should stop telling people, but in the course of the day, I told another teacher, as well as my school nurse and my principal. I let the nurse know for obvious reasons, as well as the fact that I had to withdraw from our school's Biggest Loser contest that just started a couple weeks before. Let's face it -- I'm not going to be winning that contest. Haha. The nurse bounced up out of her seat and hugged me and told me to take my $20 back for the contest. Woo!

I told my principal after this, and she couldn't have been happier. She kept hugging me and told me over and over again how she's prayed for this, and how happy she was, and how I better take care of myself, even if that means I have to sit down and teach. Her support has been tantamount to all of this, since she has never once made me feel guilty for having to take time off for my IVF treatment, and she's always been behind me through the end of this journey.

At the end of the day, I went home and spent the rest of the night on the couch, taking it easy. Again, no real symptoms aside from being too tired for words. I also took my last FRER test today:



Wednesday (today!)

I tossed and turned all night long. I kept having dreams about triplets. Strange, huh? I am still crampy, but it's nothing alarming at all. Tomorrow is beta day, and I'm a little nervous about it, though I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I read so many horror stories about betas that I've scared myself.

I keep focusing on the things I am going to have to do, such as find a day care center, as enrollment is already filling up for the Fall and Winter of next year. Crazy, right? I'm trying to stay in this forward-thinking mode the best I can. No negative thoughts.

My babies are snuggled in, and I hope they are here to stay.

I will update on my beta tomorrow. Of course, you won't read it for at least a few more days, but you get the idea.

2 comments:

  1. Um, you did eventually tell your sister overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! I have been looking for updates. Im so happy for you two. The best is yet to come...many blessings for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete