Sunday, March 24, 2013

12 Weeks: Migraines and Movement

Yesterday, I got to see my best friend, Gina, for the first time in a little while. I was super excited to get to be with her while my husband played 24 hours of video games for charity. Somewhere around the middle of the day, I formed a low-grade headache that I knew would be bad news. I continued to drink water, and I even had a little bit of soda to ward off the migraine.

Sadly, at around 10pm, I lost the battle and the migraine hit me full blast. I went to bed early, which wasn't saying much since the charity gaming party was still going on, and I could hear everything through the wall. I used an ice pack to relieve the pain in the front of my head and prayed the Tylenol I took would work. It didn't work. In fact, lying down only made my head hurt worse.

At about three in the morning, I texted Gina, who was still awake and with the gamers, and asked her for more Tylenol. I only took half a dose before, since that was all I had left. She came in and gave me more Tylenol and switched out my ice pack for a new one. She's awesome. <3 She asked if I had to go to the hospital, but I didn't want to go. I feel so silly going to the hospital for a migraine.

About three minutes after she left, I broke down in tears. I was so frustrated because I hurt so much, and since I've suffered from migraines for many years, all the remedies I'd usually try...I can't try now. Gone are the days of squishing it with Excedrin, which didn't always work, but it would most of the time. Now, all I can use is Tylenol (a joke) and pray it away.

B in to check on me in the middle of my little breakdown. He stayed with me until I calmed down, and I told him that it really hurt, and I can't sleep because of it. I asked if he could bring me a can of soda. Caffeine was my last hope. Now, caffeine can either be a trigger for people who suffer migraines, or it can be a help to get rid of it. For me, it's always been a help. In fact, when all my other preventatives fail, I usually bank on a huge Coffee Coolatta from Dunkin Donuts. The cold and the caffeine combined would make it much more bearable.

My husband brought me the Coke, and I forced myself to drink half of it (since I didn't want to eat or drink), and then I got back into bed. Thankfully, the half can of Coke made the migraine more bearable, and I was able to fall asleep. When I woke up, the migraine was still there, but it wasn't painful (those of you who suffer from migraines know what I mean). I took more Tylenol to keep it from coming back around. That worked.

To say I am frustrated is an understatement. I am going to call my midwife tomorrow and talk about my options. There are a few out there for pregnant women, but some of them, like anti-depressants, are not an option for me.

In other news, on the way to Philadelphia, while I was sitting in the car, I felt a little *bloopbloop* in my upper pelvic area. It definitely wasn't gas, but it didn't occur to me at first that it was my baby. When it did, I was so happy, and I told Brandon, who promptly joked around and told me it was probably just gas. But, I have a very active baby, so it wouldn't surprise me if he or she was doing a somersault, and I just so happened to feel it. The RE told me that I could feel the quickening as early as 11 weeks, but most first time moms don't understand what they are feeling and miss it. I totally didn't miss this. :D


5 comments:

  1. Rachael felt Peyton pretty early on and she always described it as feeling like there was popcorn popping in her stomach. :) (btw this is Kim hacking her account) :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see Kim has already commented! :P I was going to say that too. It felt like bubbles popping or carbonation. It was pretty neat. Also, with the migraines, try a warm bath and peppermint oil. If peppermint doesn't make you nauseous of course. I had migraines throughout and soda or baths always worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have migraines enduced by pregnancy hormones... I very RARELY have them before - Only after getting a concussion a few years ago. For me they were WAY WORSE right at the end of the first trimester (1-3 a week) but have gotten a lot better now at 23 weeks (maybe 1 every couple weeks)...

    My OB gave me a prescription and said that he has used it for 15 years without any side effects. I've been racking my brain all morning to come up with the name (it's at home). If you would like to know PM me on FF or email me - juliemattox@me.com and I'll tell you what it is. Makes me a bit drowsy but that's the only side effect. Caffine WIRES me and most of the time doesn't help with the headache. I've take the medicine several times when I can't bare the migraine.

    I hope you get some relief, I was just like you crying and stressing which my doctor said was worse for my body than the medicine.

    xoxoxox,
    Julie

    FF - DogRescueMom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too felt Rebecca kicking very early on! I too was called crazy, but as soon as I could feel the full thing in the third trimester I knew for sure I was feeling her earlier too! haha and you remember how crazy active she was! the feeling just gets even more amazing! I'm so glad you get to experience it! I wish everyone could feel it.
    as for the migraines, I had them pretty bad in the first trimester. they did slow down a whole lot. peppermint oil is amazing! a nurse (after my surgery) told me peppermint oil helped with dizziness (i often get dizziness with my migraines). I do know there are a few options for chronic migraines that pregnant women can use. I hope your midwife finds the perfect things to help you!
    -c

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was me last night. Well no, not really, no migraine at all. But, last night, my husband found me crying in bed over sheer exhaustion and unrelenting nausea. This is just exhausting, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete