Thursday, March 28, 2013

12w4d: NT Ultrasound

This morning, we had our NT ultrasound appointment, which is also called a "first trimester screening." This is to check the fluids in the baby's neck and spine, which can show indications of having chromosomal  abnormalities. In the past, if the screening came back positive, the mother would have to get an amnio done, which is very invasive. Now, if it comes back positive, you can get the MaterniT21 test done, which is a blood draw that checks for the same abnormalities and confirms them as well as the sex of the baby.

I just looked at this as another chance to get to see my baby. The NT results were fine, but the experience was something else.

Turns out, I have a stubborn child. When we got there, s/he was facing straight up, staring at us, which is good to check on all the little limbs and to watch him/her wiggle around and kick and flail his/her arms around, but it is impossible to actually measure the fluids if the baby is face up. So, after we got to watch the baby move all around, the tech told me to turn onto my left side to try and get him/her to roll over. This didn't work. Next step? She told me to go empty my bladder, then walk around for a little bit.

I went ahead and did that and jumped up and down a few times for good measure. All the while, B was mocking me for the stubborn baby, saying that I pissed him/her off with the doppler, and now he/she wanted to be left alone. Whatevs.

When the tech came back in, we tried again, and the baby was facing down now...for like thirty seconds, before he/she rolled back over face-up. Hahaha. So, I had to do more rolling around, flipping from one side to the other, and FINALLY she was able to get the measurements.

The baby kept putting one of his/her hands up by his/her nose, as if to cover his/her face, which was definitely cute. She even did a close up shot of his/her little feet, but didn't give us that picture, unfortunately.

Oh, and all afternoon in school, I felt the baby moving around. I think he/she is mocking me. I'm much more aware of the sensation now, as infrequent as it is. It's beautiful, and I love it. I love every moment of it.

Here's the best of the pictures we did get. You can't tell the sex from the picture at all, so don't bother guessing. Baby's not fully developed down there yet, so there wasn't anything to see.


2 comments:

  1. Congrats!!!! Actually, if you go by the "nub theory" that baby looks very much like a girl! That's going to be my guess.

    Here's more info on the nub theory.

    http://www.baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html

    Don't you just love getting U/S? I agree on your 14 week appt. It's boring without the U/S! lol. Also, I think hiring a doula is a great idea. You look really cute with that tiny baby bump. I have PCOS too. I'm a survivor! I now have 4 kids. So anyway, I'm very excited for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have looked into the nub theory, but I didn't see a nub in my picture to make a guess. Too much cord and legs in the way. :P

      Delete