Sunday, July 22, 2012

IVF#2: Blood work and Follie Scan #3

I thought I was only getting blood work done today, but when I got there, they put me in an exam room. So, while I was confused, I was also relieved because I wanted to make sure that my follicles were growing still after that E2 drop. The scan went well, and the doctor said everything looked fine, so they put me in the phlebotomy room to wait for the nurse to draw my blood.

Nurse A, one of my favorite nurses, came in and looked confused. I guess someone forgot to put me on the list of people who were coming in today. I thought she was confused about the results of the scan. Anyway, I asked her what it means, exactly if my E2 is dropping. At first, it seemed like she didn't really want to say what it meant, but she finally gave in and said that it could mean my follicles stopped growing and that they will have to cancel the cycle. This made my heart stop. She said it without much room for argument. So, my next question was if the follicles grew since yesterday, and the sonographer peeked in and said that they did, in fact, grow. That made the situation a little better!

 I asked Nurse A if my follicles are growing and my E2 goes down, what does that mean? I got another sort of dodgy answer, that it meant that they are still getting to know my body, and if this cycle didn't work out, they will know better what to do next cycle. Okay. After I asked her if it is possible some people don't respond to Lupron (the drug that is supposed to keep you from ovulating), she said that is definitely possible, and there are other drug options for next time.

Blood was drawn, and I was sent on my way and told to call back at noon. The whole ride home, I was quiet and upset. I don't want my cycle to be canceled. I don't want to have had to go through all these shots for nothing.

I fell back asleep when I got home, and woke up at noon to call the nurses back for my results. After waiting a little bit on the phone (because Nurse A is the only nurse in today), she picked up and said, "I have great news! Your E2 went back up!" Relief washed over me.

I am going to take 150 Gonal-F and 75 Menopur tonight and then come back in tomorrow for another scan and more blood work, and my ER will be on Wednesday. I'm a little nervous about waiting so long on the ER (as I thought it would be Tuesday), but it is what it is. I just hope I don't ovulate before them.

Have I ever mentioned how stressful this all is? I should get a massage or something.

3 comments:

  1. You deserve a nice massage! I'm glad your cycle will continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone deserves a massage it's you! Go get one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay about the good news! You had us in suspense!! -J

    ReplyDelete