Tuesday, July 24, 2012

IVF#2: Follie Scan #4 - Pre-Op

Today was my last scan before surgery tomorrow. Yay! The husband and I dragged on last night and waited until midnight to take my trigger (HCG) shot. They wanted me to do it as late as possible so I could come in early for surgery and hopefully not ovulate beforehand again. It's still my biggest fear. I think it's everyone's fear at this point.

Dr. B. said she expects 5-8 eggs now. They also informed me that they will be doing assisted hatching this time around. This is an extra procedure to encourage the embryos to attached to the uterine lining after they are transferred. Whether you knew it or not, our "eggs" (or embryos in this case) have outer shells, and they have to shed this outer shell in order to attach to the uterus.

Assisted hatching is basically when the embryologist makes a little hole in this shell to help the embryo hatch and attach to the uterine wall. So, it will give me a leg up on the situation, and hopefully this time they will hang on to that wall and snuggle in. :)

Everyone seems to be rooting for me there. Dr. B. is determined to get me in before I ovulate, and the nurses are happy that I'm able to move forward and we didn't have to cancel.

Surgery will be at 8:45 tomorrow. Keep us in your thoughts. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment