Friday, July 27, 2012

IVF#2: Transfer Day


 I had another restless night last night, mostly due to the fact that I was certain that when I woke up, they would call me and tell me that my embryo didn't make it and there would be no transfer. I waited by my phone all morning, but thankfully, no one called.

I went to my transfer today by myself because my husband had to be on call at work. I got to the center, and there was only me and one other woman there. Both of our names were the same, and we were both having a transfer done. I sat nervously in the waiting room, expecting for Nurse S. to come out and tell me that there would be no transfer today. At one point, she came out and sort of stared at us both, and in my head I thought, "This is it. She's going to tell me to go home." But instead, she said, "Now I have to figure out which one of you I put in bed first."

After Nurse S. gave me my progesterone shot, I was taken into the back room first and put in the bed by the window. Shortly after I was settled, the other woman came in and laid down in the bed next to mine. It was kind of awkward. What do we say to each other? Have fun?

The transfer went over okay. No cramping. No bleeding. Everything went smoothly. The embryologist told me that my embryo was a  4cell+3, so it's grade was high and was looking pretty good. Here it is, my little Hope:






Doctor P. assured me (since I must have looked pretty nervous) that it only takes one, and this is going to be the one. After being made to lie down for a half hour, I got up and went straight to acupuncture.

My acupuncturist told me I was really on edge and my liver was working overtime. So, the first thing I had to do was calm the heck down. Then, she put some needles in place to help direct blood flow to my uterus. Before I left, she told me that the only thing I should be thinking about is the word "Welcome." Welcome to my uterus, little embryo. Please, stick around.

I got home and joked with my husband that they probably mixed my embryo up with the other woman's embryos, since we both have the same first names, and I'll end up with a white baby. Hahaha. I crack myself up.

I've been on bedrest since I got home. The husband doesn't quite understand what this means and keeps asking me to go to the Apple Store with him, or out to dinner (sushi at that), or he asks me why I am going back up into bed. He'll catch on. I know he will.

Anyway. That was my day today. Now I'm in my two week wait, and a hell of a two weeks it will be.

2 comments:

  1. I know it's hard Steph - but try to relax. I like the accupuncurist's advice. Think of "welcoming" your little Hope into your body - no pressure, just good thoughts. Do little, normal things, but if the doctor says "bedrest" take them seriously - even if Brandon doesn't quite get it yet! I love you and am thinking of you every day.

    - Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Googled this for you, but I'm sure you already found it:

    http://www.whattoexpect.com/forums/fertility-treatments/archives/ivf-single-embryo-success-stories.html

    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete