Thursday, May 10, 2012

Baseline Ultrasound and Bloodwork Day

Today was baseline day, which pretty much marks the start of a new cycle for me. My true IVF cycle. I was nervous about what would happen today, because I was sure that they were going to tell me that something wasn't right and they would have to cancel.

When I first got in there, the receptionist told me I had to speak with the benefits department. This was not a good sign. I immediately start to think that my insurance doesn't cover any of this after all, and I'm in the middle of a $10,000 process that I can't afford. So, I go to benefits and they have a little stack of papers for me. One is about Brandon's SA tests, which were being sent to his old insurance and not the new one, therefore creating a balance for me to pay. I did not pay this balance, but explained the situation, and they are going to re-file.

The next thing they tell me is that my insurance doesn't cover the embryo freezing or storage, and I will have to pay out of pocket for that. The total? $1,000. I can't complain, really. I could be paying for ALL of this out of pocket, so I am going to be grateful that the most I have to cough up after all this is said and done is maybe a couple thousand. If that.

With benefits settled, I was taken back to a room for my ultrasound. Dr. P. came in and did his thing and seemed surprised. Oh wonderful, I thought to myself. Something definitely has to be wrong.

But no! Turns out that I have follicles that are already growing, despite the fact that I've not started my stims yet. He said I have at least three good ones on my right side, along with a bunch of little ones, and a bunch of little ones on my left side. These little ones will get bigger when I start the stims, which is wonderful news! If all goes well, I'll hopefully have a plethora of eggies to be fertilized, which gives me a better chance of having good embryos to transfer.

When the nurse took me into the other room for bloodwork, she stepped out to look at my chart, then said, "Wow! This looks really, really great!" Yay! So, now I'm feeling really great about everything. So great, I didn't even get mad when the nurse missed my vein and scraped it all around the inside of my arm to try and find it. Then I had to point out one for her to use. But, we got it under control.

So, after my appointment, I was feeling pretty great. This is going to work out. I start my stims tomorrow night, which I'm sure I'll mess up the first time around. I will continue them for ten days. I go back to the doctor on Monday for a repeat ultrasound and bloodwork.

Now, flashforward to right this moment, and I couldn't be more upset. My dear husband, who is irrational about things sometimes, has flipped out over the embryo storage thing and is throwing a little fit about it. Well, I don't care. I'm putting things into perspective for once, and I don't think $1,000 is a lot compared to what we COULD BE PAYING FOR THIS. That, and I'm not going to discard my embryos when I can use them down the line and not have to go through this whole freaking process all over again.

It's a long, stressful process that I am going through. Not him. I am going through this. And it sucks. And I don't want to do it again. And if that means I have to freeze my good embryos so I can have another shot? Then that's what I am going to do.

For the numbers people out there, my FSH was 8.9 (normal), and my E2 was 46 (normal). Things are looking good.


No comments:

Post a Comment