Friday, May 11, 2012

First Day of Injects

I thought I'd document for those of you who are following me through this journey. WARNING: There is some blood. A little bit.

First, I thought I'd have to do this all at Brandon's grandmother's house, but thankfully, we got home at around 7pm, which is when I want to do my injects. So, no shooting up in Grandma's bathroom. Bonus!

So, here's what I start out with:


In this picture, you see on the far left the Gonal-F, the little box is Lupron, the bottle of pills is baby aspirin, then under that, there are three different syringes, and under those are the vials to mix up Menopur. A lot, right? Just wait...it gets even better!

First, I decided to go with the Lupron, because I'm already familiar with how to do that shot. Here's the Lupron:


Even though I've done this shot for a week now, I decided today to stab myself REALLY SLOWLY, so slowly that I drew blood. :( So here's a picture of my tummy with my grievous wound:


MAN DOWN! MAN DOWN!

No, but seriously. After that shot was the Gonal-F, because it's the second least difficult one. Now, I did have the choice of mixing Gonal-F with Menopur, but I wanted to do it all separate today so I can learn how to prepare each of them. So, here's the Gonal-F, which is pretty simple; you just inject the water from the big syringe into the vial, then use the little syringe to draw the liquid and inject.



This injection went over pretty well. No causalities. Next comes the most difficult one: Menopur.


You will notice that the needle on the very right has a FREAKING LONG TOP. This scared the crap out of me when the nurse first showed me the syringe. Thankfully, though, you switch that top with a smaller top when you are done mixing those two little vials together. It took both me and Brandon to mix this one and get it into the syringe to inject. We couldn't figure out the measurements, then realized we didn't need them (because I had to draw all of the liquid from the bottle). Duh us.

So, I injected the Menopur, which took me a moment because I didn't have the nerve to stab myself again. But, eventually, I gave into myself and stabbed away. This injection burns afterwards, I've learned, but it didn't really hurt going in.

In the end, I prevailed!



So, now I am all filled with medicine. This is your time to shine, follicles. Make me lots of eggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment