Wednesday, November 14, 2012

OHSS

OHSS has been in the back of my mind. Especially now, since I'm in lots of discomfort. Ovarian Hyper-Stimulation syndrome happens when your estrogen gets too high. Your abdomen swells with fluids (usually after the retrieval), and your body goes berserk. If it is mild, you can drink lots of Gatorade and hope it goes away. But, if it is severe, you are put into the hospital for 7-10 days with a tube in your abdomen to drain the fluid and an IV to keep you hydrated.

I am 99% sure that I developed OHSS after my last ER. In fact, I think it happened BEFORE the ER, since I was in so much pain, and because they found a whole lot of fluid when they went in to do the collection. Then I had those really, really bad cramps later on in that week, also a sign of OHSS.

I am getting worried about it because my estrogen is pretty high (that is why I have to "coast" or not take my medicine tonight), and my discomfort level is rising as the day (now night) goes on. It hurts to go from sitting and standing, and walking is bothersome. I am almost feeling how I felt before my first ER -- and that was miserable.

Here is hoping all stays well. I'm still really excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment